Wednesday, May 20, 2009

12/365 - Black Tears

After living in Hawaii for 9 months, I figured it was about time I visited Pearl Harbor. Especially since I am moving back to the Mainland in less than two weeks. Watching the video about Pearl Harbor was really amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be in Hawaii when the Japanese first attacked Pearl Harbor. I would have been scared out of my bloody mind. There are a lot of Japanese who are living in Hawaii or come to visit. I wonder if they feel awkward at all. I don't know, just thoughts I guess... It was really cool to go to and experience Pearl Harbor and I'm glad I went. Once we actually got out to the memorial built over the U.S.S. Arizona was when it became more real. There are still hundreds of bodies trapped in the sunken ship. Every man who was killed on board the U.S.S. Arizona lies at rest at the bottom of Pearl Harbor with the ship. Personally, I think it kind of adds to the memorial knowing that those who lost their lives during the attack on Pearl Harbor are STILL underwater trapped in the ship. What gets me is the fact that to this day, almost 70 years later, there is still fuel leaking from the ship. Some refer to the oil leakage as "black tears" which I think is fitting.


12/365
U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - Pearl Harbor, HI

No comments:

Post a Comment